These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Smile a while



Imagine the scene: I’m in Marks & Spencer standing in a queue minding my own business when I suddenly glance up and my heart leaps with joy. Before I know what I am doing I call out the name of a friend who is in a different queue some distance away from me.


I hadn’t seen her for ages and we’ve been planning to meet up for almost as long and there she is. Just doing the same as me: minding her own business in a M & S queue.

Upon hearing her name and, presumably my voice saying it, she turns around and her face is already wreathed in a huge smile as we start to move towards each other.  We have left our places oblivious to the stares of those around us. Our smiles bounce off every surface. We hug with familiarity and comfort in the middle of the shop. We are alone in our bubble of happiness.

Making arrangements to meet the following day we share yet more smiles and hugs before going our separate ways.

“My week just keeps getting better and better,” I told her as we said goodbye.

I was smiling all the way back to the car and for hours later. This was not just a crinkle of the lips but a broad smile that could also be described as a grin. Just meeting my wonderful friend L so unexpectedly made me bubble with joy.



I had a fantastic cause to smile for a while.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts