These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Tuesday 2 August 2011

Focussing on Nanny



I have to attend a funeral in the morning. Well, I say I ‘have to’, I don’t have to – I am choosing to. Although I really dislike the separation and loss that is encapsulated in the funeral service I am going because I want to.

It’s not a party – that’s not where the want stems from, but I’m sure there will be words of celebration about this woman’s life, so I’m not excited in that sense about going there. I know I will cry because I cry for most things and ever since my mother’s funeral nearly 30 years ago I have kept up the tradition of tears on these occasions.

A few days ago I wrote on Twitter Funerals have a way of focussing you. Whether it be family, friend or a fellow life traveller: a reminder to concentrate on what's important.”

That’s one of the reasons why I’m going. Another is that she was a kind, funny, loving woman who always had a good word to share and when she held on to my arm as she got into the car I felt as if I was doing something good for another human being. D had lived a long life and had suffered through many illnesses that would have stopped many people years ago, so for this woman who reminded me of Nanny of the Maroons, I will take some time out to share another retelling of the journey and they joys of her life.

As D is buried tomorrow I will remember ...

I will remember those who have already left this life and those who are still here.

I will continue to take every opportunity to focus on what and who is important to me in this part of my life journey. I will be focused.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts