These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Saturday 18 June 2011

There’s something wrong ...



Have you ever noticed that sometimes things look or feel great when you’ve just done them but after a while some uncertainty begins to surface?
Well, I have been painting the house for a while and as time has passed I have found out that I’ve missed bits. Now something else has come to light. Literally.
This concerns a door. The inside of this particular door is not frequently seen as it is not often closed but when my eyes lit upon it on one of the rare bright afternoons I instantly developed a hint of a frown.
I decided to ignore what I had seen but as I am not the only one in the house it was soon brought to my attention by my son.
“There’s something wrong with the door,” she said casually.
“I know.” I sighed.
“Why’s it like that?” M asked.
“The paint I used wasn’t right,” I conceded.
“Oh. OK.”
“It doesn’t look nice,” he continued.
“I know. I’ll fix it soon,” I answered.
“Good. Then it’ll look nice like the rest of the painting!”
When I had picked up the can of paint it had brightly announced that it was a one-coat brilliant white paint for all wood and metal surfaces. So I had just used it in good faith ... just as I had many years before. And this is where the problem stemmed from.
The paint was white when I dipped the brush in the paint tin, it was white when it first went on the door but after a few weeks it started to fade and turned a strange shade of sickness, it was a streaky creamy colour and the previous white colour was peeping through this top layer of discolouration.
The paint I chose to use was old. It wasn’t right for this use. So I had to buy new paint for that door, other doors and radiators.
Now they are all white because I eventually used something that was fit for the right purpose and will not just be a temporary facade.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts