These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Saturday 1 January 2011

Determination to succeed




Determination seems to be in the air this month. Here are a few quotes that reinforce the fresh spirit of purpose:

"The difference between the impossible and the possible lies in a person's determination." Tommy Lasorda

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog." Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Nothing great will ever be achieved without great men, and men are great only if they are determined to be so." Charles De Gaulle

“Determination is the wake-up call to the human will.” Tony Robbins

“What this power is I cannot say; all I know is that it exists and it becomes available only when a man is in that state of mind in which he knows exactly what he wants and is fully determined not to quit until he finds it.”
Alexander Graham Bell

“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” Og Mandino

When I decide to do something I focus on that purpose, I become fixed on achieving that goal. I am determined to succeed. My whole intention is to make that dream, that thought, that idea into a reality.

Being determined is usually seen as a positive thing. I don’t think this is always the case.

An example I have recently witnessed, well I have heard it rather than seen it, has been of a man resolutely pounding on the door of someone’s house in my street. He has been there for about two hours, taking only short breaks to regain his breath or maybe to apply some type of salve to his weary fist, but other than those temporary moments of relief (for both the innocent bystanders and himself) he has not ceased to call out another person’s name and to pound relentlessly to achieve his purpose - which seems to be to communicate face to face with the person he is calling.

The woman whose name he is shouting out is either as determined as he is or absent from the property because his personal resolution to repeat his actions over and over again have been met with a steadfast and definite silence from within the house. One determination has been matched with another, they have opposing aims, and like the gladiator in the Ancient Roman arenas faced with any opponent, there can only be one victor.

Some examples of determination, like this loud interruption to my evening, can simply be termed as sheer wilfulness: this particular man is determined that he wants something and his consistent shouting and banging indicates that he intends to get what he wants no matter who or what says otherwise to him.

Even negative situations can provide positive examples.

Banging man’s insistence has given me an example, albeit loud and unwelcomed, of a predetermined purpose.

He knows exactly what he wants. So do I ... and everyone else forced to listen to his loud cries. He is definitely determined tonight.

Every day can awaken us to a new, or renewed fixed intention of our own.

We can repeatedly determine to follow this new direction and remain resolute and firm in our purpose; and that is all good because “every accomplishment starts with the decision to try” (Anon). Determination does, however, need to be balanced by discipline. Discipline brings the addition chance of making your purpose more liable to succeed because you are less likely to give in to temptations that will take you away from your purpose.

Make sure, like I will, that what you determine to try from this day – a day that starts with all the number ones: 1/1/11 - is appropriate, focused and healthy for all concerned.

Have a great year!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts