These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Thursday 2 September 2010

Puppet gifts


Have you ever received a conditional gift?

If you do get a “gift” that is conditional is it really a gift at all?

I have been repeatedly faced with this conundrum in recent months. Does that make me fortunate or not? The jury is still out on that one ...

The part about actually receiving a gift is great. It is a blessing to be considered as a recipient of any kindness. It is a blessing to be considered with kindness.

Now that that fact is out of the way, let’s get to the bare bones of a conditional gift.

They take me out of my comfort zone.

I have said that I would rather do without something than receive it from somebody who gives it with conditions attached.

It’s almost like being stabbed with a velvet-handled knife: the wound will be the same – only the stabber with have more comfort delivering the blow. It is not soft but firm it is just painful; there is no pleasure in the gift. Like the iron fist in the velvet glove the impression is one of kindness and gentleness yet the reality is of firm control.

I received a gift but when I got it I was not overjoyed because I knew the character of the giver. Within days the truth of the gift was revealed. I was welcomed to the gift but ... it was mine on the understanding that I only used it for certain things and not for other things. The caution was bad enough but to add insult to injury I was actually given a list of things that I COULD NOT use it for.

I concluded that I was being strait-jacketed rather than released to enjoy my gift. I knew it was suspicious when it was offered to me, and I was right to trust my instincts.


It will be returned.

When you give a gift you should release it so the recipient can enjoy it, totally.

It is a real blessing to give without conditions.



No strings attached.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts